Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Death and Taxes...

By the way... I think I'm beginning to understand why Denny gets that glint in his eye whenever the tax issue comes up. I've been helping my parents research some Ohio tax questions regarding my grandmother's estate and ya'lls tax system has a serious infestation of the Byzantine.

The whole time I'm reading these things, my grandma's voice keeps whispering in my ear, a favorite expression of hers from years gone by... Oh, for the love of Ned!

(I never found out who this Ned was, but apparently he shared grandma's general dismay with all things that were too convoluted for their own - or anyone else's - good. Like the Ohio state tax system.)

6 comments:

chris j pluger said...

Yeah. And we bloody live here!

At least I, for one, don't have to deal with ... City of Dayton taxes!

(blood-curdling scream, teeth gnashing)

Dennis L Hitzeman said...

Ohio taxes just about anything it can justify taxing. When I did IT consulting, the state charged sales tax on the labor on installations and repairs because they claimed such activities were a tangible commodity. I think they would try to tax air if they could.

Then there's Dayton...

At least I don't live in Detroit.

Eternal Apprentice said...

(Whistles and tries not to talk about living in a state without an income tax)

Dennis L Hitzeman said...

Scott, you're a dirty bastard...

chris j pluger said...

(strongly considers moving bak to Texas while simultaneously reminding himself that even OH is better than WI)

Eternal Apprentice said...

I'd be more than happy to help any of you look for a job out here... I also know people at Oregon State where they have an income tax but no sales tax... it's a little weird out here on the fringes.